Welcome to My Personal Page
Thank you for visiting my personal fundraising page!
Please give whatever you can afford to help me go the extra mile with my fundraising efforts! All funds raised will make a tremendous difference in the lives of vulnerable families who have been born into lives of extreme poverty.
There is more about Concern Worldwide below, but I wanted to share my personal story of how I came to know this organization, and why I continue to support its life-saving work each year:
I first learned about the work of Concern as a senior at Fordham University, when I was presented with the opportunity to apply for an internship, as part of my coursework in International Studies (yes! that's right, and I have a Masters in Political Science, too!).
I was accepted into the internship, and my first day was in January 2010, just days after the catastrophic earthquake hit Haiti, killing close to 250,000 people. The atmosphere was somber, yet buzzing with activitiy, as the entire office jumped in to respond. What I remember most about those days is that nobody left - when I arrived at 9:00 a.m., the desks were already full and people were working on the response; and when I left at 5:00 p.m., folks were refilling their coffee cups and preparing for a long night. During that week, I also learned that Concern had already been working in rural Haiti for close to 20 years prior to the earthquake, and so already had much of the infrastructure and relationships in place to respond quickly and effectively.
And that brings me to what I admire most about this organization:
- 92 cents of every dollar donated go directly to the field, to provide life-saving work on the ground.
- Their staff (3,000 worldwide) are truly dedicated; and are among the most respected in the field.
- They take a social justice/community empowerment approach to aid, and seek to build long-term relationships in the communities that they serve.
- They help communities to help themselves, to develop sustainable solutions to poverty, rather than hand-outs.
- They focus on innovation & learning, so that they can provide the most life-saving and cost-effective programming, so that donors get the greatest return on their investments in the organization.
About Concern Worldwide:
Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organization dedicated to tackling poverty and suffering in the world’s poorest countries. Since its foundation in 1968, Concern Worldwide—through its work in emergencies and long-term development—has saved countless lives, relieved suffering and provided opportunities for a better standard of living for millions of people. Concern works to ensure that people living in extreme poverty are able to meet their basic needs, achieve their rights, and manage their own development through partnerships with local communities and organizations.